Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Oh, Fortuna, you degenerate wanton!

A Confederacy of Dunces is the most delightfully offensive and reactionary novel I've ever read. It might even surpass Tobias Smollett. Why is it that disgruntled reactionaries are always so much more fun than disgruntled idealists?

Ignatius J Reilly, medievalist and hot dog vendor, is a selfish, unfiltered reactionary. He should be entirely unlikable yet one cannot bear to part with his company. He possesses unrivalled rudeness, a capacity for wild fabrications and a love of being both appalled and appalling. His talk of mongoloids, masquerading sodomites, degenerates and abortions could fibrillate an entire university campus. I have read that there are many readers who just cannot find anything to like in Ignatius. But as far as I can tell such readers lack any understanding of theology and geometry.

Of course, Ignatius has no desire for their company or affection:

'I mingle with my peers or no one, and since I have no peers, I mingle with no one.'

No comments:

Post a Comment

What I've read, listened to and watched while under house arrest

I am too lazy at the moment to write this post in paragraphs, so it will instead take the form of a list. This suits me well as I am a compu...