Thursday, July 4, 2019

Green MEP Magid Magid claims he was asked to leave EU parliament...

Magid Magid, a black newly-elected Green MEP, claims to have been asked to leave the EU parliament by an official who clearly was unaware Magid is an MEP. Magid believes his race is why he was asked to leave. 'I know I’m visibily [sic] different. I don’t have the privilege to hide my identity. I’m BLACK & my name is Magid. I don’t intend to try fit in. Get used to it,' he tweeted.

Yet is it not the tiniest bit possible that it had less to do with his being black and more to do with his walking about in shorts, a reversed baseball cap, and a t-shirt with the text 'f**k fascism'? Any official would naturally assume he is not a serious person, and most certainly not a parliamentarian. It is like something out of Idiocracy.

Magid prides himself on his supposed unconventionality, but his 'unconventionality' seems rather normal in modern Britain. If you want to be truly unconventional avoid swearing, forgo social media obsessions, be polite and thoughtful in your political discourse, and above all conduct yourself, especially when in a position of power, as a dignified and cultured person. I'm sure Magid has his virtues, but his personality, far from being refreshing, is merely a banal affirmation of the dominant values of our time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What I've read, listened to and watched while under house arrest

I am too lazy at the moment to write this post in paragraphs, so it will instead take the form of a list. This suits me well as I am a compu...