Thursday, March 21, 2019

Who is Smelfungus?

I have changed the blog's name from Imlac to Smelfungus. It is a result of a growing fondness for Tobias Smollett, whom Laurence Sterne referred to as 'Smelfungus' in A Sentimental Journey. Sterne encountered Smollett in his travels and found him the most miserable, fault-finding of travellers. I've not read A Sentimental Journey as I generally find Sterne's writing intolerable, but the relevant passage is easily found online:
THE LEARNED Smelfungus travelled from Boulogne to Paris, from Paris to Rome, and so on. But he set out with the spleen and jaundice, and every object he pass’d by was discoloured or distorted. He wrote an account of them, but ’twas nothing but the account of his miserable feelings.
  I met Smelfungus in the grand portico of the Pantheon. He was just coming out of it. “’Tis nothing but a huge cockpit,” said he. “I wish you had said nothing worse of the Venus of Medici,” replied I, for in passing through Florence, I had heard he had fallen foul upon the goddess, and used her worse than a common wench, without the least provocation in nature.
  I popp’d upon Smelfungus again at Turin, in his return home; and a sad tale of sorrowful adventures he had to tell; “wherein he spoke of moving accidents by flood and field, and of the cannibals which each other eat—the Anthropophagi.” He had been flay’d alive, and bedevil’d, and used worse than St. Bartholomew, at every stage he had come at.
  “I’ll tell it,” cried Smelfungus, “to the world.”
  “You had better tell it,” said I, “to your physician.”
I was never quite comfortable using the name Imlac. The name comes from Samuel Johnson's Rasselas; Imlac is the philosopher who guides Rasselas in his travels through the world. He is not quite the voice of Johnson himself, but he is equally as sage -- far too sage a person for me to name myself after. However, I think I can fairly aspire to the miserabilism and pessimism of Smollett.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What I've read, listened to and watched while under house arrest

I am too lazy at the moment to write this post in paragraphs, so it will instead take the form of a list. This suits me well as I am a compu...