Friday, October 25, 2019

Inevitablism

The way we are conducting Brexit is like how I wrote essays in school: I would have a week to write them, but I would wait until the last minute, assuming that the panic of the last moment would force me to write something. This strategy was never terribly successful, though I usually managed to do just enough to avoid a detention.

Actually, Brexit is more like modern education at a second-rate university. Britain is rather like the student in said university who never writes an essay on time; the EU is like the administration which has no qualms granting endless extensions.

Remainers, I'm afraid, are the most inevitablist of the factions, and certainly the dangerous. They think delays will lead to a reversion of Brexit. Quite amazingly, they are so inevitablist they believe if they hold a second referendum, they will undoubtedly win. I'm not sure most of them have ever countenanced -- or will ever countenance -- another leave victory. It is sufficient, for them, merely to 'get the ball rolling'. They believe they have history on their side, and they cannot believe -- if presented with the 'facts' -- that the majority could possibly disagree with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What I've read, listened to and watched while under house arrest

I am too lazy at the moment to write this post in paragraphs, so it will instead take the form of a list. This suits me well as I am a compu...